Call in to Chic Salon, 123 Main Street, Gibraltar and see our range of summer hair care products. Full range of Aveda Haircare products in stock
We are offering the chance to win a pamper evening with free wash and blow dry for one of our fabulous clients and three friends one Friday evening. Start your weekend in style, with champagne of course, how else do we kick off the weekend!
Competition will end on Monday 22nd April. All our current clients and any new clients between now and the competition close will be automatically entered. Contact us for an appointment and be in to win. Good luck #chicsalongibraltar
When we first developed our Invati system for thinning hair, the goal was simple: Provide women with a highly effective, plant-based solution to hair loss. “It was such a successful launch for us that it became a ‘love mark’ for the brand,” says Justina Mejia-Montane, Vice President of Global Product Development.
But when we asked our existing users for feedback, they told us that while they loved the three-part system, they wished they could use it on color-treated hair. That helped prompt the development of Invati Advanced, which not only delivers high performance results (53% reduction in hair loss due to breakage from brushing when used once a day for 12 weeks) but can ALSO be used on colored hair.
“We’ve designed the system to be color-safe, so that it won’t fade a woman’s color or increase fading,” says Justina. “So now our artists and professionals in our Experience Centers can use and recommend it with confidence to their hair color clients.”
And because the products won’t strip the pigment from your hair, you’re more likely to comply with the three-part system — which means you’ll see thicker, fuller hair staring back at you in the mirror!
The promise of a new year always gets us thinking about self-improvement and how we can make this our best year ever. For many, that means focusing on wellness and fitness — you’ve probably seen how packed the gym gets after New Year’s Day.
However, embarking on a healthier lifestyle isn’t as simple as running on the treadmill a few times. We talked to Aveda employee and health coach Stephanie Wagner about making a healthier lifestyle work for you, and how to stay motivated (and grounded) when things are feeling difficult.
1. Listen to your body. Stephanie’s number one tip is to recognize when your body feels awesome, whether that’s after you eat a healthy meal or do a workout. A few years ago, Stephanie went from not exercising at all to walking for an hour. “I tuned into my energy and reflected on how I felt after I was done walking,” she said. “What I found in listening to my body was that I felt more energized. Knowing that I felt better when I did it and paying attention helped me stay motivated. I wanted to feel awesome!” This tip also works with diet; if you feel better after, say, choosing fruit instead of a cookie, try to focus on that feeling the next time you’re making a food-related decision.
2. Plan your week. Make appointments with yourself and treat them as if they’re as important as a work meeting. Stephanie makes appointments with herself for everything from workouts to food prep. “If I don’t have that time blocked off, I won’t do it,” she says. “Treat your self-care like it’s a meeting with someone. Maintain the commitment to yourself just like you would at work.”
3. Discover what motivates you. “Everybody is motivated by something different,” Stephanie says. “Some people might be motivated by being with friends, so why not create a healthy habit like going for a walk or going to the gym together to build your social well-being?” If you’re motivated by new clothes, set a small goal (like working out three times a week) and reward yourself if you get there.
4. Set realistic, process-oriented goals. Stephanie recommends setting small goals at first. Don’t be fixated on a weight loss goal — focus instead on the process and actions you’re taking to get there.
5. Know when to take a break. “Sometimes we can be so fixated on our goal, we can drive ourselves to a point of exhaustion,” Stephanie says. “Wellness and health is just as much about being active as it is about being still. It’s all about a balance – it’s a balance of sitting and movement, being able to have both.” Try to represent both active and still energies in your life so you don’t burn out. If you overdo it at the gym, try taking a bath with Stress-Fix Soaking Salts, or soothe sore muscles with tension-relieving Cooling Oil.
6. Set your intention. What do you need to be the best version of yourself in the new year? Think about what you need more of, and what you can let go. Set an intention for the person you want to be, and you can achieve it.
When the weather changes from winter to spring, you may just feel an intense craving to change up your hair look. That’s totally relatable! We’re getting excited about spring and summer 2018, so we called up Global Artistic Director for Hair Cutting Ricardo Dinis at his home in New York to chat about his favorite looks for the warmer months.
Ricardo, who is known for his precise, painstakingly perfect bobs, has recently found inspiration on the runway as of late. “I found the Marc Jacobs show inspiring because it felt very hair-focused,” he said. “[Hairstylist] Guido Palau did the cuts, and he was quoted as saying they were old Sassoon cuts. That’s my school and I loved that mix of something ‘60s and ‘80s and ‘90s. It was cuts, it was color, it was punchy — I love actually seeing a statement rather than no statement about hair.”
In Ricardo’s opinion, hair should make a statement this spring and summer. “I’ve been noticing people trying to be a little more independent and different, staying away from the crowd,” he said. “I see a lot of kids at Fashion Institute of Technology doing their own hair … I think the real trend is to be more individual rather than with the crowd.”
According to Ricardo, the New York look du jour is a short, colored bob with a strong fringe. “The kids take that [classic Anna Wintour-style bob] and put it on drugs so it becomes purple, and it becomes youthful.”
Short hair is where it’s at for Ricardo. “I love chin-length, anything from collar up, or cropped pixies,” he says. “Very Mia Farrow will be really sexy for the summer, and [pixies] could look great with some gel just to add shine and give it that wet look.” Some of his favorite summery looks have a ‘60s vibe too. “Hair that’s worn off the face, tucked behind the ears; bobs that are gelled with a side part for something more elegant, when the hair gets tucked behind the ears, it does this ‘60s flick – you accessorize that with amazing earrings or cool vintage hair clip.” He’s also feeling the center part and thinks it might make a comeback.
A CUT BY RICARDO DINIS
His best advice if you’re looking to change things up for warmer weather: make your cut work with the weather, not against it. “It depends on what you love about the summer and what you hate about summer. I personally think that humidity is a factor — think about products that are going to moisturize your hair. I opt for hair that looks less blow-dried, more finger-styled.” His favorite summer products include Shampure Dry Shampoo for grit and texture, Phomollient Styling Foam, Brilliant Retexturizing Gel and Texture Tonic. “They’re all good go-to products so that with whatever cut I have, I can scrunch and squeeze the hair into the desired style.”
Who would Ricardo love to see in his chair? He’s a big fan of the actress Tilda Swinton for her iconic look and chameleon-esque ability to transform herself. A more surprising choice: directors Steven Spielberg and Guillermo del Toro, as he’s a big movie buff and a fan of sci-fi.
Check out some of our favorite looks from Ricardo below, and be sure to follow him on Instagram at @ricardodinis.
Introduce a friend to Chic Hair Salon and we will give them 15% off their first hair or beauty treatment.
And to thank you for your personal recommendation, after your friend’s visit, we will also give you 15% off your next appointment.
Just mention the name of the friend that recommended us to you when making your appointment.
For appointments call+350 200 66208 or click here.
*Not available in conjunction with any other offer. Your friend must not have visited Chic Hair Salon before.